The Gender Equality Advisory Council for Canada’s G7 Presidency (“the Council”) is mandated to promote a transformative G7 agenda and support Leaders and ministers in ensuring that gender equality and gender-based analysis are integrated across all themes, activities and outcomes of Canada’s G7 Presidency.
The Council carries out its mandate by advising the G7 Presidency and recommending concrete actions for the G7 to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment across all areas of the G7’s work. The Council’s recommendations are reviewed by the G7 Presidency and G7 consensus will be sought to implement the recommendations and proposed actions.
On June 4, the Council launched its report, Make Gender Inequality History, which includes a set of concrete recommendations for G7 action that call for:
- Safe, healthy, educated, heard and empowered girls and women, supported with the resources and opportunities they need to be agents of change in their own lives and for a better world;
- Societies in which girls and women are equally represented in decision-making bodies, and are free from harassment and violence;
- Economies that are prosperous, innovative, inclusive, and more equitable;
- A healthy and sustainable planet; and
- A world that is peaceful, just and secure.