Our environmental policy
Protecting the environment is essential to achieving sustainable growth. Therefore, environmental considerations must be included in all of our choices and activities, including organizing a large‑scale event like the G7 Summit.
That is why the Government of Canada is committed to integrating good environmental practices into each step leading to the G7 Summit in Charlevoix. We will be making this summit an environmentally responsible event, guided by recognized environmental standards. Our efforts will focus on the following:
- minimizing the generation of waste by specifically insisting on an overall reduction in plastic consumption;
- reducing the environmental impacts of our actions and reducing the use of natural resources;
- increasing environmental awareness and the protection of natural environments;
- working to hold a low-carbon event and, when possible, offsetting the greenhouse gas emissions related to holding the Summit;
- promoting Canada’s environmental leadership.
Our environmental initiatives
- collaboration with a local environmental organization, the Corporation de la Réserve de la biosphère de Charlevoix, which will help us to implement an environmental program for the G7 Summit
- Bureau de normalisation du Québec “Sustainable event management” certification
- carbon offsetting
- waste reduction, notably plastics
- environmentally responsible procurement
- environmental assessment and environmental emergency plan
- office greening
Collaboration with the Corporation de la Réserve de la biosphère de Charlevoix
In an effort to limit the environmental impact of the G7 Summit in La Malbaie, Quebec, in June, the Government of Canada has entered into an agreement with the Corporation de la Réserve de la biosphère de Charlevoix to take concrete steps to make this summit an environmentally responsible event.
A variety of activities will reduce the G7 Summit’s environmental footprint and draw on the Corporation de la Réserve de la biosphère de Charlevoix’s expertise in terms of environmental responsibility and sustainable development.